Can students learn better when reading ans writing in incorporated into their non-English classrooms such as math or science? How can students use reading and writing in other classes to their advantage?

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Memo #3

For my primary research, I plan to interview three teachers and pass out a questionnaire to multiple classes. I would like to interview a math teacher, a science teacher, and an English teacher, all three from Coventry High School. I have specific questions that I would like to ask each teacher pertaining to their subject, although the questions are generally similar. ENGLISH TEACHER: 1. Do you believe in teaching reading/writing across the curriculum? 2. How do you believe this can be achieved? 3. Are there specific actions in place to achieve teaching reading/writing across the curriculum at this school? SCIENCE TEACHER: 1. How often do your students write in class? 2. How often do your students read in class? 3. Do you think that reading/writing in the science classroom is helping students? In what ways? 4. Do you think that we need to focus more on students reading/writing more in non-English classrooms (science, math, etc.)? 5. How do you teach reading/writing skills in a science classroom? MATH TEACHER: 1. How often do your students write in class (as in sentences, paragraphs, etc., not formulas)? 2. How often do your students read in class? 3. Do you think that reading/writing can help students in a math classroom? 4. Do you think that we need to focus more on incorperating reading/writing into math/science classrooms? STUDENTS: 1. How often do you read/write in your math class? 2. How often do you read/write in your science classroom? 3. Do you feel writing assignments help you learn better? Why/why not? 4. Do you think that reading/writing should be incorperated in math/science classrooms? Hopefully, I will be able to think of a few more questions to add to the questionnaire, along with follow-up questions that I will have in the interviewing process.

2 comments:

  1. Paige, I really like your topic. It sort tags on with Chrissie's as far as getting others involved with the teaching of writing. I think the involvement of the students is a great idea. I was curious to know if you are targeting higher level classes or not. And would that affect answers, particularly question 4. I am also curious to see if teachers do acknowledge the importance if they actually are implementing it. Do you have any follow up idea on that? Are you going to define what consists of "writing" to the students? I am wondering if its not a 2 page essay will they even consider it writing? I also have to agree with Prof Collins on the picture. Having been on the end of interviews and hiring sometimes something as silly as an email address or profile picture can really make or break someone's image. I had a student who applied to work where I do and her email address was "kissmybelliekellie." Fabulous student but her application went to bottom of pile by the Director. Anyway, good luck with your research. I think its really beneficial topic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige,
    I'm very interested in your topic, as it is similar to mine. Finding out which classrooms incorporate writing is very important. Also, finding out which techniques are used in different areas could be useful to all subject matters. I think your questions are good, are you afraid of any resistance from teachers? You may if they do not incorporate any writing, or if they think, you think its not "enough." Gwen brought up a good point about being specific on what types of writing you mean, there may not be 5 page papers being written but maybe they do quick article summaries often. Looking forward to seeing how you make out!!

    ReplyDelete